- Think about something else: Distract yourself with a positive thought (tropical island, your spouse, an activity you love to do). This positive thought will help break whatever chain of thought is producing stress.
- Think positively: Think about a success or past achievement that you are proud of.
- Take a mental vacation: Allow yourself 5 minutes to think of your favorite vacation spot.
- Use Affirmations: "I can handle this", "Everyone makes mistakes", "Staying calms helps me solve problems".
- Count to 10
- Look away: Focus on something at least 20 feet away
- Get up and leave: Go out to lunch, take a walk, give yourself time away from the stressful environment.
- Massage your target muscles: Recognize which muscles build tension when you are stressed. Self-massage those areas or treat yourself to a professional massage.
- Press on your temples: Moving your fingertips in a circular motion relaxes muscles elsewhere in your neck.
- Stretch your chest for better breathing.
- Listen to relaxation tapes or music.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Share a joke, SMILE!
- Get a drink of water.
- Say thank you.
- Yell or cry: If the environment is private and safe, emotional release can be healing.
- Stretch: Stretching muscles reduces the sensation of stress even when we can't do anything about the source of stress.
- Take several deep breaths: Close your eyes and let yourself focus on taking 10 deep, full breaths. You will be amazed at how much better you feel afterwards.
There is no way to avoid encountering stress in your life but there are positive ways that you can handle the stress. Check out the tips below and make it a habit to practice at least one of the tips below the next time you are feeling stressed.